PMI’s library of global standards is grouped into foundational standards, practice standards and frameworks, and standards extensions and practice guides. These categories reflect the expansive nature of project management, and will continue to grow and evolve along with the profession.
Members can download free PDF verions of the following materials
These standards provide a foundation for project management knowledge and represent the four areas of the profession: project, program, portfolio and the organizational approach to project management. They are the foundation on which practice standards and industry-specific extensions are built.
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)—Fifth Edition
- The Standard for Program Management—Third Edition
- The Standard for Portfolio Management—Third Edition
- Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (OPM3®)—Third Edition
Practice Standards and Frameworks
Practice standards describe the use of a tool, technique or process identified in the PMBOK® Guide or other foundational standards.
- Practice Standard for Project Risk Management
- Practice Standard for Earned Value Management—Second Edition
- Practice Standard for Project Configuration Management
- Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structures—Second Edition (Reaffirmed)
- Practice Standard for Scheduling—Second Edition
- Practice Standard for Project Estimating
- Project Manager Competency Development Framework—Second Edition
PMI Standards Extensions
Standard extensions expand upon our foundational standards to provide more information on specific project types or industry information.
- Software Extension to the PMBOK® Guide Fifth Edition
- Construction Extension to the PMBOK® Guide Third Edition
- Government Extension to the PMBOK® Guide Third Edition
Practice guides provide supporting information and instruction to help you apply PMI standards. Practice guides may become potential standards and if so, would undergo the process for development of full consensus standards.
- Implementing Organizational Project Management: A Practice Guide
- Navigating Complexity: A Practice Guide
- Managing Change in Organizations: A Practice Guide